Tuesday 15 March 2011

The 48 Hour Scriptwriting Challenge: The Result

Well, that was certainly interesting.
I thoroughly enjoyed this self-imposed challenge. Well, up to a point.
It all started off well and innocently enough. I had my plot outlines, I had my characters, I even had a surprisingly cooperative laptop. I managed to get the first draft of an episode's script done and dusted in the first evening and gave myself the rest of the night off for sleep. And then, bam, the next morning struck me with no problems whatsoever. I made it throughout a fair amount of the morning before I accidentally opened a YouTube video and my laptop decided it was one step too far. Bam! Green and purple blocks invaded my screen and before long, my laptop was dead.
Now, this was mildly convenient as my brother's new girlfriend was in town and it would have been rude of me to not greet her. On top of that, there was a kind of arranged meal to be had. And so, since my laptop continued to die every time I turned it on that evening, I resolved to leave it until the next day. Well, I say I "resolved" but I had no say in the matter, really.
And so, on Sunday, my final day, I eventually managed to get my laptop back up and running and got through half of a draft of the second episode before my time ran out.
So yeah, my 48 hour scriptwriting challenge didn't go too well but I got a script and a half out of it.

But that's not all!
As Monday rolled on and having just finished a day of filming, I found myself in a conversation with a good friend about the upcoming 48 hour London sci-fi film challenge. (Ker-link!: http://www.sci-fi-london.com/festival/2011/48-hour-film-challenge) I quickly adopted the role of writer in the (currently) hypothetical scenario that we take on this challenge and so, a new challenge arose. Writing an entire film in a lot less than 48 hours, based on specifics. Now this was a challenge. So...of course, I fancied giving myself a new challenge.

The New Challenge
This new challenge is to develop a movie idea into a script from preset criteria that must be included. I have decided to not give myself a time limit this time as my life seems to be getting progressively busier for the following weeks and filming for my group's documentary begins next week. So yeah, busy, busy, busy.
The criteria was chosen by the aforementioned friend with whom I had been conversing.
Keyword: Deadline
Prop: A shoe
Line of dialogue: "Stay out of the fridge..."
Genre: Science Fiction
So there we have it. Perhaps a little strange but lo and behold, I did manage to come up with a decent story out of it. I'm not going to reveal it all until it's actually finished but the working title at the moment is "Take A Chance".
Another adopted criteria for the film was to use as few locations as possible and aim for very low budget.
Perhaps I'll chuck up a small synopsis and whatnot later on as it develops. But until then...
Farewell!

No comments:

Post a Comment