Friday 11 March 2011

The 48 Hour Scriptwriting Challenge [11/03/2011 - 13/03/2011]

So, the scriptwriting challenge I wrote of in my previous entry. It's happening and it's happening soon. In fact, it will begin at some point tonight. Shall we say, 20:00? Yes, that seems adequate.
Now, I won't be writing non-stop, I will of course be needing sleep or it'll all end up in vain as my sentences not only lose their structure but possible even their spelling. What an unfortunate farce that would become. Now then, let's discuss a little, shall we?

The Idea
I have decided to choose an idea before entering the 48 hours and after some consideration I have landed back at an old idea of mine that I have ever so much loved since I first thought it up. It has its origins in my first year of college and over the years has had several drafts and redrafts. There have been at least three drafts of a first episode, first drafts of the following three episodes and even a couple of drafts for a feature length adaptation.
Unfortunately, as the holidays came and went, none of these productions were ever filmed and so it became an assumption that the idea would never be made, but alas, it has resurfaced once more. Now, what is this idea?

Genesis Key: a two sided prophecy
This idea was born from a list of short film ideas I jotted down to discuss with my good friend, Matthew Clarkson, back in year one of college (a.k.a. 2008). It was originally formed as two short films that would follow the same story but from different sides and the rough description was thus;
"A hero is told that he must save the world by seeking out an ancient artefact."
"Another hero is told to save the world by stopping the first."
From these two short ideas came the whole of Genesis Key. Throwing in a bizarre antagonist who was manipulating the both of them and adding the classic idea of a roaming adventure with a dash of comedy, Genesis Key became what it is known as today.
The two main characters became known as Adam A. Accuine and Luke L. Layrs (now Evan E. Eborn). Over the years of development and redevelopment, characters have come and gone and the story has expanded into something quite ridiculous. But ridiculous in a good way.
And so, in the year 2011, after starting completely from scratch, Genesis Key is about to be reborn.

So, my challenge starts at 8pm tonight and concludes at 8pm on Sunday. As Genesis Key is a serial with unspecified episode length I will write as many episodes as I can within that time. There are four episodes planned so far so hopefully, we'll get a decent way into the story.
And who knows, perhaps this summer will finally be the one where Genesis Key is actually filmed.

P.S. I will probably be doing constant updates on my twitter page, so be sure to catch the action as I ponder, bitch and celebrate in real time! @TimothyGElsy for those of you who aren't willing to look to the right of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment